I woke up this morning to the sound of pounding rain on the ceiling. Gosh, I love Trinidad rain!
So yep, I’m back in the tropics after having a ball in Buffalo. In fact, those two extra days (thanks for making me miss my flight, NYC-area thunderstorms of July 13) made me feel like I’d done everything I wanted to do while I was in Buffalo and left me happy as could be to get back to sweet T and T.
So, as I drifted through the clouds for those 1500 or so miles from JFK to Piarco airport, I was dreaming of my Trini home and all its creature craziness:
- Doubles and sada roti
- Maracas beach and bake and shark
- Band launch season (carnival 2K11, I’m lookin’ right at you!)
- Mangoes from my tree
- Making friends with a fresh new host of summer iguanas and lizards
- Sewing and gawping at gorgeous fabrics
- My kitchen, my market, my mostly meat-free existence (though dang, my mom and sisters make me a happy carnivore)
- Tuesday Law and Order SVU marathon (no USA network at my mom’s house)
- The dog
- The man
- The chill life (well, the sweaty life, but you know what I mean)
And if the charms of Trinidad wane, I just need to remember it’s twenty weeks till I go back at Christmas.
I’ll be back on Monday with tons of energy and sass and pictures, I promise! Until then, I’ll be sleeping and swatting mosquitoes and sipping cold drinks on my porch–total bliss…